Adventurer Map - Aberfeldy Map
The Victorian High Country between Walhalla and Mt Terrible is one of the most stunning and historically rich areas of Australia. Mountainous country, much of it above the snow line and relics of gold mining and ghost towns abound. If you're planning to travel in this area, Rudi Paoletti's Adventurer Maps series are essential. No other maps come close to the details and accuracy of the information contained, especially if you're interested in the many historical sites of the region. These maps are up to date, field surveyed and extensively researched, which aids map readers in successful navigation and study of the area. The tracks are very accurately represented on the maps and notes regarding their accessibility in various conditions and at various times of the year are also included. The locations of numerous gold mines not shown on any other maps are also indicated accurately.
Important Note: Although only a few hours drive from Metropolitan Melbourne, the region covered by the Adventurer series is one of the most rugged and isolated areas in Victoria. While the main roads are generally suitable for most vehicles during the dryer months, most of the tracks in this area are should only be tackled by 4WD vehicles with experienced drivers. Proper planning and preparation is required as weather, road and river conditions can vary rapidly. Vehicle recovery equipment is strongly advised.
Rudi Paoletti is a recognised authority on this region, both from a navigational and historical point of view. He conducts tours of the High Country Ghost Towns. For more information, see www.adventurermaps.com.au
Map Scale 1:20,000
Complete Adventurer Map Index below;
The image below shows a sample of the adventurer maps illustrating the detail and historical notations;
There are many advantages to the Adventurer Map which makes it unique to any other map on the market;
- Symbols- Conventional symbols are used so they are easily recognisable where referral to a legend is not necessary to analyse the map.
- Scale- The scale of the map allows all features such as tracks, mines, boundaries, etc. to be shown where previously not possible on smaller scale maps. Therefore map readers are able to get a true picture of the area.
- Elevation Points- Elevation points are positioned along tracks so walkers and off-road drivers are easily able to determine the grade of the track. High points of mountains are also shown to give readers an idea of the elevation of the area as a point of interest and to aid walkers walking off the beaten track.
- Tracks- Every track is shown including those overgrown. Overgrown tracks may be quite visible at the entrance but become undrivable after as little as 20 metres. Overgrown tracks are plotted for two major reasons: 1. Navigation 2. To allow complete overgrowth
- Mines- Mines give an added interest to the area. After all, it was the gold that gave birth to the ghost towns of these areas and are therefore an important factor in Victoria's history. Many mine enthusiasts, historians, gold seekers and relic seekers love the Adventurer Map for this reason.
- Creeks- The majority of creeks shown are simply run-offs where water channels down the slope of the mountain. These help drivers estimate the condition of a track and the shape of the terrain. They also provide a navigational tool for mine enthusiasts walking off the beaten track.
- Clearings- The smallest of clearings and disused quarries are even shown which helps travellers get an idea of their exact location along a track.
- Historical information- Locations of the 1800's hotel sites, properties, townships, etc are also shown which interests travellers to these areas. A brief paragraph on the area is presented on the cover of the map.
- The Grid- Grid co-ordinates are shown only, and a note of the datum used is noted to assist those people using grid references, computations or global positioning systems for navigation. The variation between grid north and magnetic north is also shown for orienteering purposes.
- Map Sheet- The size of the map sheet is designed so that navigating while on the move is easy.
- General Information- All information on the areas mapped are up to date. Information such as seasonal closures of tracks, private/leased properties, government regulations etc is noted. Additional notes such as extreme conditions of tracks, numerous mine shafts and old logging areas are also noted.
Also Available from Gondwana Online;
- All other maps in this series, either individually or in one of the following great value sets;
- Woods Point Collection
- Woods Point / Matlock Map
- Woods Point / Gooley's Creek Map
- Jericho Map
- A1 Mine Map
- Brooklyn Town Map
- Big River Collection
- Big River Map
- Enoch's Point Map
- Kevington Map
- Mt Terrible Map
- Gaffney's Creek Map
- Aberfeldy Collection
- Aberfeldy Map
- Donnelly Creek / Toombon Map
- Donnelly Creek / Store Point Map
- Fulton Creek Map
- Beardmore Map
- Woods Point Collection
- The entire Adventurer Maps series on CD - Already calibrated and suitable for Ozi Explorer or for printing or viewing from jpeg format.